Drupal offers views for display of dynamic content. Drupal view offers different display options and are perfect way to display content that needs regular updates.
Well customized views not only gives you suitable display for content type in view but also it improve ease of access to user.
In below description I have listed down the different customization options and their properties:
Display Name : Display name identifies the view. Display name can also be added as a page title.
Title : Title determines the view and its functionality. This field can also be used as page title.
Format of the view determines how the view is displayed. It is associated with the view template and custom CSS created for the view. Format is most important aspect of the view. If you are using existing view in the template avoid changing this field. If you wish to change this filed you have to configure all files associated with this display.
1. Show : Show stands for the overall node specific section which you want to display in the view.
2. Fields : You display specific fields depending upon the view format available. These fields are associated with the page type displayed in used template or theme.
3. Filter Criteria : This is one of the most important configurable option. Make sure your content is publish to be displayed in view using filter criteria. Also content type associated with view is added using this field.You add custom markup filed in your content type to further sort your view using this field.
4. Sort Criteria : Sort criteria determine in which order content nodes are displayed in the view. You can apply sort criteria on any ordered mandatory field. Generally post date is used in this.
1. Path : If you have selected ‘Create a page ‘this option will allow you change path of the page where your view is reflected.
2. Menu : Provided to distinct content displayed.
3. Access : Provides permissions with reference to published contents.
4. Header and Footer : You can set header and footer of the block or page using this filed.
5. Pager : Pager will allow you to add specified number of items in your page view or block. You can configure the links to previous and next pager settings here.
Drupal provided different advance settings for more configured view. Some settings improve the performance of views using time based cache.
Use these features carefully and only of needed.
Views based on custom content type:
If you have created custom content type and you want to display list of these in view make sure you use appreciate ‘format ‘for display. Some themes provide custom display options which are only applicable to specific content type such as portfolio, projects or products.
If you want to update your view you can always use ‘clone view ‘option to back up default settings.