Now a days internet user are increasing and security is important concern about internet users to secure their data and computer system. So some security measure should be taken. One of the techniques or precaution measures is Ethical Hacking.
Ethical Hacking is combination of two deep meaning words Ethics and Hacking.
Hacking is the process or technique to penetrate the system by means of exploitation of system, to get knowledge or to steal the confidential information about any organization, nation-country and so on. Hacker is computer programmer who breaks computer system, whether criminal or computer security expert. It also gave the new term Crackers. Crackers are vandals and kind of thieves who crack the secure system illegally for personal gain with more malicious activity to gain unauthorized access to a computer in order to commit unauthorized activities more precisely crime such as destroying information contained in that system, stealing information and terrorism.
Ethical Hacking is the legal process of hacking or to checking and analyzing computer systems, done by authorized person, programmer or computer expert who is certified by NSA (National Security Agency United States) standardized organization.
The purpose of ethical hacking is to secure the systems from unauthorized user, programmer or computer expert.
An ethical hacker tries to bypass system security and search for any weaknesses that could be exploited by malicious hackers. All the information gathered in this is then used by the authorized personnel or organizations to improve their computer system security, in an effort to minimize or eliminate any potential attacks.
Rules to perform Ethical Hacking:
- Permission (preferably written) from the organization or person who want to perform Ethical Hacking of their system, to probe the network and attempt to identify potential security risks.
- Ethical Hacker must have to maintain and respect the individuals or company's privacy.
- After whole operations one must close out the work, not leaving anything open for anyone else to exploit the system at a later time.
- One must have to let the software developer or hardware manufacturer know of any security vulnerabilities located in their software or hardware, if not already known by the company.
Most known organization for Certification of Ethical Hacking:
- GIAC(Global Information Assurance Certification)
- CISE(Certified Information Security Expert)
Cases of crimes:
- First Hacker John Draper(1970)
- Robert T. Morris, Jr. launched the first self-replicating computer program (called as worm) on the government’s ARPANET to test its effect on UNIX systems; he is the first person to be convicted under the Computer Fraud Act of 1986.
Most used Hacking Techniques-
- Vulnerability Scanner
- Brute Force Attack
- Password Cracking
- Packet Sniffing